This special event takes place at the Visount Hotel (4855 East Broadway) from 9:30 am-2:30 pm. Cost is $30 members, $45 nonmembers. (See below.)
Structuring Your Novel: Discover the Proven Blueprint for Creating Stories That Sell
Why do some stories work and others don’t? Is there some unspoken secret for success that famous authors are aware of and you’re not? If you’ve struggled to write consistently solid novels, only to repeatedly realize something isn’t working, then you’re ready to discover story structure.
An understanding of proper story structure will help you to perfectly time your story’s major events and give you an unerring standard to use in evaluating your novel’s pacing and progression. Structure allows authors to create timeless stories that resonate with readers. More than that, structure provides authors with valuable guidance in understanding how story theory works and in planning novels, chapter by chapter.
In this presentation, you will discover the universal underpinnings that guarantee powerful plots, learn how to create solid plot points, and gain an understanding of how proper structure guarantees a solid foundation for your stories.
What you’ll learn:
- How to implement a strong three-act structure, using ten important plot elements.
- How to time your acts and your plot points.
- How to determine the best methods for unleashing your unique and personal vision for your story.
- How to identify common structural weaknesses and flip them around into stunning strengths.
- How to eliminate saggy middles by discovering your “centerpiece.”
Outlining Your Novel: Create a Roadmap to Storytelling Success
Writers often look upon outlines with fear and trembling. Won’t outlines limit your creativity and rob the joy of discovery from your first draft? Why spend all that time preparing for a story when you could be writing it?
But when properly understood and correctly wielded, the outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer’s arsenal. K.M. Weiland, author of Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success, will help you learn how to choose the right type of outline for you, brainstorm plot ideas, and discover your characters.
Outlines ensure cohesion and balance in the finished story. They prevent wasted time pursuing dead-end ideas, allow you to craft resonant foreshadowing, and, most importantly of all, provide you a foundation of confidence and motivation.
What you’ll learn:
- How to choose the right type of outline for you
- How to brainstorm plot ideas
- How to discover your characters
- How to organize your scenes
- How to format your finished outline
- How to put your outline to use
About the Instructor
K.M. Weiland is the award-winning and internationally published author of the Amazon bestsellers Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success and Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys to Writing an Outstanding Story, as well as three novels. She mentors other authors through her award-winning blog HelpingWritersBecomeAuthors.com. She makes her home in western Nebraska.
Who Should Attend?
- Writers needing help writing or finishing solid first drafts
- Writers who know how to create fabulous characters but who struggle with plot.
- Writers who want to learn how to create the unique, personally structured writing process that will best for them.
- Writers who want to take full advantage of their stories’ premises.
- Writers who want to learn the secret to creating consistently good stories.
- Writers who want to spot and fix story problems before they start writing the first draft.
This event takes place at the Viscount Hotel (4855 East Broadway). from 9:30 am-2:30 pm. There will be no chapter meeting, and there is no restriction on guest attendance.
Special Event fee of $30 members, $45 guests and walk-ins includes taco-bar lunch. SPACE MAY BE LIMITED. Walk-ins are welcome, but whenever possible, please guarantee your spot by reserving on our payments page or by emailing reservations@tucsonRWA.org no later than 8 am Wednesday before the event.